The institution of marriage is a beautiful vocation, the beginning of family life and a great adventure. The Catholic Church rejoices in your decision to marry and wants to journey with you in your preparations and assist you in growing in your love for each other as well as in your relationship with Christ. Each person is called to prepare as well as possible to live our faith in our marriage and in our lives.
Couples wishing to celebrate the Sacrament of Marriage should contact the parish office and plan to meet with Father George six months prior to the wedding date. Catholic marriage preparation is mandatory for couples wishing to be married in any parish of the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton – it is strongly recommended that the marriage preparation course be taken at least 4-6 months before the wedding date.
During the marriage preparation process, couples will receive:
- Information about what the Church believes and teaches about Catholic marriage and family life.
- Advice and practical assistance for your daily married lives together.
- An introduction to Natural Family Planning, a reliable method of planning your family that is both based on science and in harmony with God’s design for sexual intimacy and Church teaching. Natural Family Planning not only assists with planning or spacing births, but is also extremely effective in working with any infertility issues.
- The witness of married couples to the sacrament of marriage and how it is lived in their lives.
For more information about how to begin planning your wedding, please visit the parish or read Steps to Getting Married.
Each wedding will have a total of four readings, choose one reading from each section outlined below:
- The First Reading is from the Old Testament (Selections 1-8) – choose a reader. The Responsorial Psalms is defined by the First Reading – choose a reader (or this can be read by the person doing the First Reading)
- The Second Reading is from the New Testament (selections 9-18) – choose a reader.
- The Gospel (selections 19-28) – is read by the priest.
- The Prayers of the Faithful (General Intercessions-often read by several people).
Please contact the parish office at 780-422-8304 for more information.